Saturday, June 20, 2009

The iPod Touch as a Vibration Sensor

I've been experimenting with my noisy window air conditioner, trying to reduce vibration by adding supports and accoustic insulation.  I was looking for a better way to pinpoint from where on the chassis the vibrations were coming. PACS Windows SIG

Well... "There's an App for that!"

I knew my iPod Touch was a really neat gadget, but I never thought I'd be using it as a vibration monitor! 

If you have a Touch or an iPhone, check out the Apps Store for "iSeismometer" (Free) or, if you need more intricate data analysis, try iSeismograph ($.99).

Ron K



1 comment:

Ron K said...

This year I decided to investigate further, and see how my trusty iPod Touch could help.

Were there Apps to change the Touch into a digital acoustic test instrument? Certainly!

Last year I used a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter for measuring the air conditioner's noise. Once I constructed a microphone for the 2nd generation Touch Microphone I found there were several free sound level meters to choose from in the APPS Store. (Digital Sound Meter FREE, WideNoise). In addition, since I was also interested in the frequency content of the noise, I downloaded two free, real-time audio spectrum analyzer apps; ianalyzer Lite and RTA Lite. The experiment indicated that there was a spectral peak at 60Hz. I guess that shouldn't have been a surprise.

Now all I have to do is to construct an acceptable-looking acoustic band-stop Helmholtz resonator filter tuned to 60 Hz and place it in front of the A/C unit. :-) Ha! Ha!

Ron K