Friday, November 14, 2008

iphone ocarina: go blow (into your iphone)



http://technabob.com/blog/2008/11/07/iphone-ocarina-wind-instrument/
I’ve seen all sorts of musical instruments running on the iPhone, but this is the first one I’ve come across that might involve getting a little spit on your screen.
Smule’s new iPhone app, Ocarina turns your iPhone into a fully-functional musical wind instrument. This amazing little application works very much like the real deal, combining touch, tilt, gestures and human breath to create ethereal sounds which bring out your inner Zelda.
Just place your fingers over four virtual “holes” on the multi-touch screen, and blow into your iPhone’s microphone. What’s really cool about the software is that none of the sounds are pre-generated, rather they’re built in real-time based on your exact gestures and movements.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhCJq7EAJJA

2 comments:

Ron K said...

A question arose: "Can one use the iPod Touch 2g Ocarina with an external microphone?"

Using the approach I mentioned in:

PACS Windows SIG

I plugged the headset into my 2G Touch and loaded Ocarina. The program changed from the "Touch Mode" to the standard iPhone mode. I blew into the external microphone and heard the tones in the earpiece.

Using this approach works, but it is not very convenient. I'm sure a special external microphone can be wired so that the internal speaker can still be heard.

Any other suggestions?

Ron K

Ron K said...

If Ocarina were just a musical instrument program, it would still be, more than worth its 99 cent purchase price.

But, when Smule introduced its live Web connection, the program transformed itself into an entirely different realm.

Thanks to Smule’s Sonic Network technology, as you play, you can share your performances live with other Ocarina users across the entire globe (and let them rate your musicianship. The imagary is stunning and resembles Google Earth.

It can truly be said that the language of music is universal, and this program is the first of its kind, that I know of, that proves the point.

I named my Ocarina with my city and state so other listeners can pinpoint my location.

Ron K